Since 1996 the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) has been authorized to issue OTMA’s for bulk packages (tank cars) that no longer conform to Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR Parts 171-180).
In 2000, that authority was expanded to cover all bulk packages (e.g. covered hopper cars, gondolas, portable tanks, etc.) of hazardous materials.
- Standing approval for specific conditions
- Applies to empty/clean, residue and loaded railcars
- Does not apply to PIH (Poison Inhalation Hazard)
- Application can be made via email notification
- Car can move immediately after confirmation of email notification is received